Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Well Blake posted a nice tribute to the Chicago trip on his site, so I thought I better offer my take as well.

- I too watched Like Mike and actually enjoyed it for what it was.
- Yes, the Fairmont was really as expensive and unhelpful as Blake said.
- The food in Chicago was amazing. I didn't eat at one place that was bad. Bennigan's was great, Pizzaria Duo was amazing, and Bandera had great jazz (Dave Wilson Trio) and a "saucy" little Romanian waitress named Miruna. Not to mention the best pork tenderloin I've ever had!!
- The Art Institute was brilliant once again. Highlights for me, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Picasso, Seurat, and Chagall's Stained Glass windows.
- Riding the train is always a pleasure. Shame on the oil mongers in LA for not creating a usefull public transit network.
-Realizing that though he's run 14 marathons, my Dad hates to walk, and will take the bus even if it takes him longer to get somewhere than walking does.
- Vincent, Blake's sister's overweight cat, playing with a candy corn pumpkin like it was a dead mouse.
-Shopping in Evanston bookstores
-Seeing "Red Dragon" with my Mom.
-Running the marathon with little to no pain. Watching my brother slug it out in severe pain. Feeling inspired by that performance, and the performance of my old man who, much to my chagrin, can still outrun us all.
-Visiting a Presbyterian church downtown and seeing a photo exhibit from 9/11 taken by associated press photogs.
-Taking the elevator to the top of the Hancock (John, not Herbie) building to get a 360 panorama of the city for free.
-Watching the Angels pummel Minnesota while I rested from the marathon.
-Flying home with Blake and Scott. Watching Blake fall asleep five minutes after boarding only to remain in that same position for 3 hours straight. Laughing when he woke up with mashed face and hair.
-Waiting for John to come pick us up, figuring he'd forgotten us after 30 minutes of waiting, taking a cab to Scott's car, realizing after the cab left that Scott's battery was dead, calling AAA to come jump the car, getting home just as John pulls up saying that he's been at the airport for 2 hours looking for us.
-Priceless.

No comments: