Saturday, October 05, 2002

I'm leaving for a week in Chicago. I've got some training to do with my company, OKI, and then I'm going to take a couple days of vacation around the city and run the marathon on the 13th with my Dad and Brother. Should be a good time. Having said that, I probably won't be posting too much on this site for the next 10 days. But I'll leave you with this:

"If you have never known the power of God's love, then maybe it is because you have never asked to know it---I mean really asked, expecting an answer.
I am saying just this: go to him the way the father of the sick boy did (cf. Mark 9) and ask him. Pray to him, is what I am saying. In whatever words you have. And if the little voice that is in side all of us as the inheritance of generations of unfaith, if this little voice inside says, 'But I don't believe. I don't believe,' don't worry too much. Just keep on anyway. 'Lord, I believe; help my unbelief' is the best any of us can do really, but thank God it is enough.
Seek and you will find---this is the power of God's love to heal, to give peace and, at last, something like real life, so that little by little, like the boy, you can get up. Yes, get up. But we must seek---like a child at first, like playing a kind of game at first because prayer is so foreign to most of us. It is so hard and it is so easy. And everything depends on it. Seek. Ask. And by God's grace we will find. In Christ's name and with his power I can promise you this."

-----Frederick Buechner, "The Power of God, The Power of Man" from the book "The Magnificent Defeat"

No comments: