Wednesday, June 29, 2005

"At a time when religion so often seems to get in the way of God’s work, with its shopping mall sale pitch and its bumper sticker reductionism, I give thanks just for the sanity of Billy Graham—for that clear empathetic voice of his in that Southern accent. Part poet, part preacher. A singer of the human spirit, I’d say. Yeah, I give thanks for Billy Graham. Thank you, Billy Graham."

-----Bono, introduction to "Thank you Billy Graham" by Pat Boone.

Strange bedfellows indeed.

5 comments:

e. rene said...

anne lamott-yes. she saved my searching heart for something real when it comes to modern believers.

her honesty floors me.

how is the book so far?

Christopher said...

Anne Lamott's book is okay. Not as good as Traveling Mercies, but still worth checking out.

Illestabbot, thanks for the post. I appreciate the props. I'm not sure about the illuminatti/skull and bones conspiracy theory, but I think you're right in principle. . .they're both serving their own party interests at the expense of those of the people.

e. rene said...

have you ever read any david sedaris?

Christopher said...

Yeah, Holidays on Ice and Me Talk Pretty One Day. He's got an hilarious writing voice.

e. rene said...

david freakin sedaris. discovered him at a ripe age of like 15...dad loved NPR.

got to see him speak in iowa city, iowa. the dysfunction that he writes about makes me feel normal and inspiried.

i recommend 'naked'. but it seems as though your nightstand is full.