Wednesday, November 09, 2005

"When I look at the cross of Christ, what I see up there is all my shit and everybody else's. So I ask myself a question a lot of people have asked: Who is this man? And was He who He said He was, or was He just a religious nut? And there it is, and that's the question. And no one can talk you into it or out of it.....But there are two routes out of town. There always are. There's transcendence and there's the cover version, or the dull copy: junk food transcendence of drugs, the 'easy to digest but finally that's gonna give you heart disease' religion. But I tend to believe that people who just want a cheap way out of their life can find zealotry in lots of places. The true life of a believer is one of a longer, more hazardous or uphill pilgrimage, and where you uncover slowly the sort of illumination for your next step. Religious people, generally, they freak me out. Honestly, I start twitching when I'm around them. But sometimes, maybe weirdos are the only people who really know they need God."

-----Bono, from "Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas"

1 comment:

Rebecca Snavely said...

"maybe weirdos are the only people who really know they need God."

That would explain the mix of people at Tribe (myself included).

Hey - I just discovered your blog - and I've got a LOT of down time at work, so I'm always looking for good readings and quotes. I haven't seen Good Night and Good Luck yet, but it's on my list. I recommend "Everything Is Illuminated" if it's still in theatres. Takes a while to get into it - but once you meet the seeing eye bitch, you'll be hooked. Good story and characters.