Monday, November 15, 2004

"The wish to be independent in everything is false pride. Even what we owe to others belongs to ourselves and is a part of our own lives, and any attempt to calculate what we have 'earned' for ourselves and what we owe to other people is certainly not Christian, and is , moreover, a futile undertaking. It's through what he himself is, plus what he receives, that a man becomes a complete entity."

"My thoughts and feelings seem to be getting more and more like those of the Old Testament, and in recent months I have been reading the Old Testament much more than the New. It is only when one knows the unutterability of the name of God that one can utter the name of Jesus Christ; it is only when one loves life and the earth so much that without them everything seems to be over that one may believe in the resurrection and the new world; it is only when God's wrath and vengeance are hanging as grim realities over the heads of one's enemies that something of what it means to love and forgive them can touch our hearts."

"I've been thinking again over what I wrote to you recently about our own fear. I think that here, under the guise of honesty, something is being passed off as 'natural' that is at bottom a symptom of sin; it is really quite analogous to talking openly about sexual matters. After all, 'truthfulness' does not mean uncovering everything that exists. God himself made clothes for men; and that means that in statu corruptionis many things in human life ought to remain covered, and that evil, even though it cannot be eradicated, ought at least to be concealed. Exposure is cynical, and although the cynic prides himself on his exceptional honesty, or claims to want truth at all costs, he misses the crucial fact that since the fall there must be reticence and secrecy."

"I often wonder who I really am--the man who goes on squirming under these ghastly experiences in wretchedness that cries to heaven, or the man who scourges himself and pretends to others (and even to himself) that he is placid, cheerful, composed, and in control of himself, and allows people to admire him for it (i.e. for playing the part--or is it not playing a part?) What does one's attitude mean, anyway? In short, I know less than ever about myself, and I'm no longer attaching any importance to it. I've had more than enough psychology, and I'm less and less inclined to analyze the state of my soul.. ..There is something more at stake than self-knowledge."

"'Falsehood' is the destruction of, and hostility to, reality as it is in God; anyone who tells the truth cynically is lying."

"It's remarkable how little I miss going to church. I wonder why."

-----Dietrich Bonhoeffer, "Letters and Papers from Prison"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"There is something more at stake than self-knowledge." Why I had trouble getting through "The Purpose Driven Life" and "literature" of the like. Have you read Bonhoeffer's "Life Together"? The whole book speaks much to idea of the first paragraph in this post.My new last name is Burgess...my email: imsargarepa@hotmail.com. Would love to hear how things are going for you.

Sarah