Friday, August 15, 2008


Brian Eno sums "it" all up in a few sentences.  I couldn't disagree more, but you're either with him or your against him as a modern.  There are no other alternatives.

"I am an anti-Romantic.  It's part of being an atheist.  It's another version of being an atheist.  It's anti...anti this idea that it's outside of us rather than inside of us.  I think it's all inside of us.  I don't think there's anything else, actually.  It's all in us, and it's all in everyone too."

And then he offers this surprising little reflection, which I quite like.

"What would be really interesting to see [in your film] is how beautiful things grow out of shit.  Because nobody ever believes that.  Everybody thinks that Beethoven had his string quartets completely in his head---they'd somehow appeared there and formed in his head---before he, and all he had to do was write them down and they would kind of be manifest to the world.  But I think what's so interesting, and what would really be a lesson that everybody should learn is that things come out of nothing, things evolve out of nothing.  You know, the tiniest seed in the right situation turns into the most beautiful forest, and then the most promising seed in the wrong situation turns into nothing.  And I think this would be important for people to understand, because it gives people confidence in their own lives to know that that's how things work.  If you walk around with the idea that there are some people who are so gifted---they have these wonderful things in their head, but you're not one of them, you're just sort of a normal person, you could never do anything like that---then you live a different kind of life.  You could have another kind of life, where you can say, 'well, I know that things come from nothing very much, and start from unpromising beginnings, and I'm an unpromising beginning, and I could start something.'"

-----Brian Eno, from "Here is What Is" by Daniel Lanois

3 comments:

Choi said...

wow.

paul thomas said...

Curtis lifted this whole quote off of the dvd and used it in a sermon recently on Jesus' parables--the sower and the seed, I believe.

He gave me the dvd as a gift for doing his wedding back in May. I haven't yet had the time to watch it, but I will soon.

The question for Eno and others is, of course, where do the beautiful things that grow up inside of us and get birthed out in art, in coversation, in relationship, etc.--where do they come from?

Christopher said...

Well, Hume would say it's wrong to assume cause from effect, but I think Hume had a screw loose.

Like I said, this gets at the heart of the modern dilemma. Either we're alone and it's all inside us, or we're not alone and there's something much bigger at work.

Tell Curtis his stock is rising. =)