Saturday, November 17, 2007


I just watched a really interesting movie on Slavoj Žižek, a Slovenian philosopher/sociologist operating with a sort of Marxist/Lacanian method. While perhaps ultimately frustrating, his work seems to serve as an helpful analysis of why we philosophize, ie. what it means for us to say such-and-such. I won't attempt to define him anymore broadly than that in a blog post, but suffice it to say, he's quite interesting and you should check out Zizek! the movie. There's also a helpful write up in Books & Culture if you want an introduction from a Christian perspective to his work. Here is a quote from that review that I liked:

"For this "fighting atheist" it is not, of course, so much the truth of what Christians believe but the world-altering power of the Christian imagination that attracts him. What Zizek sees is precisely what the comfortable Western Church might be most in need of recovering: an appreciation for the explosive nature of the Christian Gospel and how it calls forth an alternative or counter way of life to the standard operating procedures of the world." -----Ashley Woodiwiss

2 comments:

Johnny T said...

Žižek is on my list of to-read authors. Maybe we can run through a book of his together.

Christopher said...

There are two I'm considering. One is "On Belief" and the other is "The Puppet and the Dwarf". You tell me which one and I'm game, as long as our pace is moderate. I have a ton of other reading too....as I'm sure you do.