Wednesday, March 27, 2002

Papa was, he still is, such a dude. And I resemble him, inevitably. Sons are bound to pick up the graces and gestures of their daddies. I was using his conventional tricks and mannerisms before I could know what I was doing. In what follows I may appear to poke fun at him. Disavowal is useless. One is forever finding pockets of venom beside one's best feelings, so let's not ask for the moon. . . . .

Mother didn't like to discuss my attachment to Benn, whereas Father was forever digging up my motives. He said, 'Kenneth, you're one of those continuing-education types and you think Benn still has something to teach you. In return, you have to take care of him because, as Aristophanes would say, he's got his head up his ass.' (Dad disliked vulgar expressions and always found a respectable sponsor for them.)

-----More Die of Heartbreak, Saul Bellow

No comments: